Sunday, December 23, 2012

Nightmare Gossip

I had a really bizarre dream a few nights ago.
I dreamt I was on my way to confront someone about why she wouldn’t let her son be friends with me. When she answered the door, she had a 3 year old at her feet, vying for her attention. When I had decided to go see her, I guess I hadn’t considered how much she might hate me, but once she opened her front door, it turned out to be a fair amount, to the point where when I spoke to her child (whom I could relate to as my own children are a similar age), she plainly told me off.
“Don’t you dare talk to him” she said.
Not wanting to worsen the situation any, I focussed my attention to her, trying to solve the issue.
When I asked why she wouldn’t let me see her son,
She simply said “because you are notorious”.
I couldn’t understand why she would think that about me, so I pressing her further. She said she’d heard all sorts about me, like the time when I had dropped a box of strawberries while running from the police with a stolen Wii.
In the dream, I knew exactly the incident she spoke of and laughed aloud at the twisted ridiculousness that is that story. I explained that what had actually happened was a friend and I were running to my house, yes, with a box of strawberries which I dropped on the way, to get back in time for my curfew. Also, the event took place before the Wii was even invented, in about 1995.
However, she still didn’t believe me. She said she’d heard loads of other stories and that one explanation wasn’t going to clear it up for her.
Now I don’t know why the hell I wanted so badly to be friends with her son, thankfully there was no face or name to embarrass me in the morning.
Weird dream, and unexplainable, except in one thing.
I hate gossip.
I hate the way people won’t talk to each other, be honest with each other, let things stew and then let the Chinese whispers twist the truth far from recognition.
The things I have heard about myself in the past have genuinely shocked and appalled me.
I am reminded of the phrase ‘there’s not smoke without fire’, and I know I’m not the most well-behaved person, and there has certainly been some smoke in the past, but that doesn’t mean I was making great big bonfires.
I wish people would just ask for the frickin truth rather than talk behind people’s backs.
If you care enough to chat about it, chat to the person it’s happening to and get the truth. I reckon, more often than not, these people need love and support much more than they need judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment