Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Minecraft Diamond Ore Curtains

So I needed to make some curtains to go in the boys new Minecraft room. At first I was completely stumped, but after raiding my fabric stash I came up with these.
I love that I have so much fabric, and so many different kinds. I'm so grateful to all the people who let me raid their clear-outs.
I had some grey wool, but unfortunately not enough, so I backed it with some black wool, which actually turned out great because it's given them a really useful blackout effect (fab for playing games with torches). If I was to make them again and willing to buy fabric especially, I would simply use a nice grey cotton or something.
For the blocks, I used some shiny satin and metallic polyester.

I cut out my curtains and started on the coloured blocks. Because I was using scraps from my stash, I used several pieces. I first ironed on some bondaweb.
 Then I drew on some 3x3cm squares using my set square.
 These are the shapes I wanted to cut out.
 I cut them all out and pinned them in place, using a google image as a guide.
I ironed it and stitched it all together.

Et voila!

The wool is very wiggly and it would've looked better in cotton, but it was free so I'm not complaining and the boys are very impressed.

Think I'll make some matching cushions...

No comments:

Post a Comment