Sunday, February 15, 2015

Bean & Mummy's Yo! Sushi Date



Ever since we started making veggie sushi at home, I've wanted to be brave enough to go out for proper sushi. 



Bean is a bit of a food lover and I've had plans building in my head for a while of places we can go where we can try new foods together. So when Mr Strawberry and I went on a rare date and the boys became jealous, it didn't take me long to arrange 'dates' with both boys. Ed and I went to the movies (his choice) and I took Bean for sushi. It wasn't our only option but I'm so pleased we went, it was fabulous. 

On the way there, we discussed eating fish, raw fish and crab. We talked about how neither of us had ever eaten raw fish but maybe we should try it. It's fine to not like something but it's not fine to not try anything new. 
So, we got there and Bean chose us a little booth. He loved the bright colours, the cute characters and the tv on the wall that seemed to go through a loop of sushi dishes and lucky cats, all within cool Japanese imagery. The staff were all super helpful and friendly, made sure we had everything we needed and ensured they were close by if we had any questions. Every table has water taps so we never went thirsty and the conveyor belt of plates went past the table so we could grab whatever we fancied. 
It took us a bit of time to read through the menu (there are so many options) and find what was passing us but we didn't feel rushed. The dishes we really fancied but couldn't see, we simply ordered. Bean loved that he could press the button which alerted our waitress (thankfully he didn't get too hooked on it and was very sensible for someone who is only five). 
Our first plate.
From the top; inari & chive futomaki, duck gyoza, tamago nigiri, inari pocket,
pumpkin korroke, duck & mango roll.
So, I take him out for sushi and he orders himself sausages!
At least he attempted to eat them with chopsticks!
We tried lots of new foods, and even got brave enough to try both raw fish and raw beef but we didn't like it. We tried the salmon without the salmon and poor bean ended up with just the wasabi flavoured rice. "Too spicy!" he said. But the pumpkin korroke, duck gyoza, beef tsukune, tamago nigiri and inari pocket were delicious! 
seared beef nigiri and salmon maki.
And the puddings! It's obvious from my waistline I'm a pudding girl. I went for sushi so I wasn't expecting great puddings too. My sister had told me about a cheesecake sushi thing so I knew they did a few, but the puddings ensured we went past our 15 plate limit. 
We went on a Sunday, so we partook in the Sunday munch deal, which is 10 plates for £20 and 5 plates for £10 for a child, but because we were trying everything which caught our eye, we soon maxed out. Then when Bean spotted more puddings passing us and ordered himself a fruit platter, it pushed us so far past it was cheaper to charge us for two adults. I didn't mind, the last time we had a date was August! And the unlimited water was free. We didn't finish everything on our plates so we brought home our left overs. 
We first tried the custard dorayaki which was so yum Bean nabbed a chocolate one too. The chocolate mochi was peculiar but tasty, as was the strawberry cheesecake mochi. I'm still deciding on the anko mochi, there's some in the leftovers box. 
Testing the mochi.
strawberry cheesecake mochi, custard dorayaki, chocolate dorayaki, chocolate
mochi and anko mochi.
"I will succeed..."
Looking back at the menu now (to get the names spelt right!) there are so many dishes we didn't try. We'll have to go back very soon. 
So impressed with the conveyor belt.
Yo! Sushi is the most child friendly place I've been to in ages, with sparkly clean toilets (which I always appreciate) and absolutely no tutting from anyone because I dared to take a child to a restaurant, especially one who can be a bit fidgety and knocked a glass of water over our table when he was being a bit impatient waiting for his fruit platter. 
We finished our meal utterly full, with a belly full of yummy-ness and after such genuinely lovely staff, I literally couldn't help leaving a massive tip. We struggled through town and Bean almost fell asleep on the way home. We probably shouldn't have eaten quite so much but if it's only twice a year who cares haha!
We're so full....

No comments:

Post a Comment