Monday, September 21, 2015

He Threatened to Punch Me...He Couldn't Help it.

When Mr. Strawberry and I started spending the night together, he gave me a warning;
“I might punch you in the face when I’m asleep”
Sure you will, I replied, I’d like to see you try.

It didn’t take long for me to realise what made him think he might but it was an exaggeration of the truth and almost ten years later, I can honesty say he has never punched me.

He’s not 100% sure what happens at night, and personally I think his mean ex was the person who hyped it up in his head and told him he’d punched her. I personally don’t trust her opinion but in my experience, although we tend to sleep bottom to bottom so his fists are nowhere near me anyway, it’s more of a judder than a lashing out, so I don’t see how that could have happened. Sometimes his legs jolt, but even they’ve never kicked me.

It turns out Mr. Strawberry suffers from a mild case of sleep myoclonus, which means that as he drifts off every night, he has involuntary twitches, particularly in his arms and legs. The only pattern I’ve been able to notice is that the more stressed he is in his day to day life, the more violent the twitching and this can delay his sleep transition. A really strong judder will wake him up so the poor bloke has to start all over again in trying to get to sleep.
I’ve also noticed is that if I gently stroke him, he never judders. Unfortunately, although I am sometimes the last person to fall asleep, I can’t seem to do it until he’s actually in deep sleep, my arm gets tired or I enter the deeper doze state of falling asleep.

After doing some research, I think most of us suffer with some form of myoclonus without even noticing. Hiccups are the most common type but also that feeling of when you are just falling asleep and you feel like you ‘catch’ yourself, often from a brief falling dream and jolt yourself awake.

Myoclonus is a symptom not a diagnosis and can be related to more serious issues, but because he is healthy and has no other symptoms, I honestly don’t think its anything to worry about, except that maybe he should take it easier and relax more but you try telling him that. Mild sleep myoclonus, which only happens during the sleep transition stage is very common and from what I’ve read, often unexplainable.

So, it looks like I’ll have to put up with it. My only real complaint is that I can’t cuddle him because his jolts stop me from settling. If it gets worse, affects him during the day or starts happening at other times, I’ll whip him off to the doctors.

Sleep well my dearies x


Information sources;


No comments:

Post a Comment