Thursday, May 23, 2013

Making Monsters at School



For some crazy reason, obviously something to do with my massive hero complex, I offered to help with ‘University Day’ at school.
Ed's first sewing project
As parents, we were invited to come in & share with the kids our expertise, talents and proffessions.
What a great opportunity to teach kids how to sew I thought to myself...only when I started getting the project together did I realise the reality of teaching 5 year olds to hand stitch...gaaaa.
I even did a small experiment with my 5 year old, I helped him appliqué a little circle onto a square. It went ok, but Ed being Ed, he soon wondered off.

 



So after much mooching through Pinterest looking for inspiration, a few sketches, I then made a few practise monsters. Got a bit carried away. Never mind

Eventually I came up with a simple design.
I raided my felt box for scraps, cut out monster shapes, gathered together some buttons, thread & stuffing. Armed with these I went to school today.

my basket of goodies
I was terrified but actually it went very well. I knew it would be a big ask, but never one to underestimate a child, I jumped in with both feet. If my kids have taught me one thing, it’s to never presume they can’t do something, because they’ll usually have a go and they’ve often been observing far longer than I think they have, and therefore understand far more than I think they do.

So I had three groups of kids aged between 5 & 8. An hour per group. Just an hour to sew on button eyes, growly teeth, stitch up the sides, stuff & close up. 
They chose their felt bodies, button eyes & teeth. They chose whereabouts they went on the body.
And yes, there was a lot of waiting around for the poor things. With only one of me & needles that constantly left their threads behind, cotton that got knotted & troublesome buttons, I had to do a fair amount, but the work they did do was fabulous & it was a pleasure to see the different ways they approached solving their problems. When we ran out of time, I had to finish some over break time & at the end of the day as they were going into their end of day assembly, I stayed behind to frantically finish off a few.
Despite how difficult some of them found it, it was awesome to see how passionate they were, & how keen they all were to take them home;
“Can we take these home?” yes.
“Can we take them home today?” yes.
“Really?” yup.
I hope they loved it, even if it was a bit dull at times as some of them had to wait a few minutes for me to re-thread needle after needle, sew a few buttons & snip a few threads.
These are a few of the monstery delights they made today.
Arrggh! Monsters!

Happily, I have ticked ‘run a makery class’ off my bucket list. I think this totally counts.


1 comment:

  1. How precious is that? =D Sewing monsters! Cuteness overload! And the wee ones did so well, too! I love the dark pink monster with the big lips.

    All kids should be introduced to some type of crafting, I think. Being able to make something out of simple materials with your own hands is quite the skill in the first place, and it is such a creative release when you are finished, looking at what you put your heart and soul into. For them, it was that they MADE something. Sure, they had help, but THEY made it. All little ones get a kick out of that. And for those little ones who have the crafting bones in them, they'll never forget the kind woman who came in and introduced them to something they will build their talents off for the rest of their lives. =D They'll never forget making those felt monsters in school! Awesome job!

    P.S. Pinterest is addictive. Enough said. x3

    ReplyDelete