Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Supermarket Zoo Day: Kid's project with Free Printables

Available here
Ed & Bean love this book, although to be honest I'm not it's biggest fan and often leave Daddy to read it if they choose it (haha). Reading it aloud requires far too much fake enthusiasm which I just can't muster having read it quite a few times now. There are books I'll never run out of beans for, but this just isn't one of them. But that's just my humble opinion and it certainly doesn't effect the boys excitement for it.
So I spent last night sorting out some print outs for them. I found these great printables online and put these together;
stickers 1
stickers 2
stickers 3
Please feel free to use these, simply right click, save & print them off A4 size, cut them out and stick them onto a trolley/shopping basket of your own. I made extra stickers and other animals for them to play with.  

shopping list

word mat
So, armed with the shopping list I photocopied out of the story book, the boys glued the right amount of animals onto the trolley (I had a proud Mummy moment with Ed as he counted down how many monkeys we needed, for example, when we had 4, he said we needed 2 more without even thinking about it, etc, etc).
When they were done with that, I gave them their own shopping trolleys, shopping lists and the other printables to do with as they chose. They stuck the left over stickers onto their trolleys and shopping lists, choosing which animals they would like to buy if they could.
The bags and boxes were a much bigger hit than I had predicted, Ed drew some lovely tins and stuff. He drew a shelf full of "baby Christmas trees for people to take home, water and care for them", and another shelf of other kinds of plants. He must be plant focused at the moment because he has been helping me with my salad growing. 
Even Bean 'drew' some hoops (their favourite breakfast cereal) on a box.



Our display. Once again I've ran out of pockets :/

This impressed me no end.
I don't push Ed into 'writing practise' or anything, but I'm always on the lookout for moments when he's happy to have a go at anything and help in any way I can. I printed off these price stickers for them to decide how to use, and Ed immediately attempted to write a number in each box. His first attempt was actually thwarted by a bump from Bean and a hissy fit, so I printed another sheet off and left it on the table. Later on, he had another go. The numbers he was unsure of, he asked me about and I provided him with a laminate sheet I did ages ago with 1-100. Awesome.

The images I've used for these printables are not mine but I ask for nothing in return, only that you have lots of fun with your small people.

No comments:

Post a Comment