Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Caramelised Apples with Cinnamon Rice

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.

I am 90% certain I cocked this up.
For a start, when I came to make it I found I didn't have any cinnamon so I thought I'd use nutmeg instead, which would have been fine had I not used far too much.
Then, I must've not had the stove hot enough as it took so long to reduce the rice, the orange peel had disintigrated and I had to try and fish out the little leftovers.
When I came to cook the apples I decided to use the last bramley up and I misread 1 tsp as 1 tbsp and ended up with very soggy apples. Though edible, I could tell which apple wedge belonged to the bramley and which did not, despite the overpowering nutmeg.

Ingredients:
rice:
100g arborio or pudding rice
850ml milk
75g sugar
1 tsp vanilla ess
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 strip of orange peel
apples;
25g butter
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into wedges
1 heaped tsp brown sugar

Put rice, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and orange peel in a pan and bring to the boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for twenty to thirty minutes until soft and thick. Keep stirring regularly so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom, especially as it gets really thick.


Remove the orange peel and set aside for fifteen minutes.

Melt butter in a frying pan and add the apple wedges.
Sprinkle over the brown sugar and cook on a low heat until the apples are soft and delightfully caramelised.
Serve over the rice.

This is delicious both hot and cold, but personally I prefer it on the warmer side.
Let me know what you think.
Free printable recipe card. Just right click & save as.

If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment