Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Orange Butterfly Cakes

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.

I think I found this recipe in an Asda magazine one Easter. Never tried it until now.
As it stands, it only makes enough for 8 nicely sized cupcakes, which is not enough for my house. I'll be doubling everything next time.

Ingredients:
125g butter
125g sugar
2 eggs
Zest of 1 orange
125g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Curd filling:
Zest & juice of 1 orange
40g sugar
2 eggs
50g butter

 Method:
Heat all curd filling ingredients together in a pan very gently and stir until thick. Just like with lemon curd, do not stop stirring.
Leave to cool.
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C  fan).
Blend butter, sugar, eggs and zest together.
Then sift in flour and baking powder and mix well.
Bake in cupcake cases for about 20 minutes.
Once cool, cut out the tops, add curd filling and gently place the ‘butterfly’ tops on.

I totally baked mine too hot. The tops burnt before the insides were done. And the curd filling recipe originally had the juice of half a lemon, leaving it super runny, which meant that it didn't sit nicely on the tops.

Also, I decorated mine with candied orange peel, but if you want to do that, for goodness sake just freakin' buy some. I've spent days on a whole batch of the stuff and it's still rather inedible. No idea why.
Free printable recipe card. Just right click & save as.

If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment