Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Chocolate Fudge (Not)

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.


As you can see, my attempt to make chocolate fudge hasn't been that successful.
It's super tasty, but I'm not sure it's fudge.
Saying that though, having left it in the fridge overnight, it is muchly improved.
he problem was that I couldn't find a straight forward recipe that wasn't in american cup quantities or used the ingredients I fancied using.
So I made it up.

Ingredients:
a tin of sweetened condensed milk
a 200g bar of dark chocolate
50g butter
pinch of sea salt
a handful of chopped pecans

Method:
Throw it all in a heavy bottomed pan, heat slowly until combined and a little bit longer to thicken it up.
Plonk it all in a greaseproof lined tin, try and spread it evenly but good luck. It's sticky and gloopy.
Leave for an hour or two in the fridge.

I found that it just didn't set.
So I scraped it all off the paper, but it back in the pan, melted it down again and added 100g icing sugar. I would have whisked it in but I didn't want to smash up my nuts, so I had to stir carefully.
I then put it back in the fridge for two hours (in new greaseproof paper, same tin).

When I came to slice it up, though it was much better than before, it was still really sticky and not how you think fudge should be, as you can see from my photo.
Most recipes seem to use twice as much chocolate, but I just don't have another spare bar and I'm unwilling to sacrifice one for something which might fail.

After it's night in the fridge, it was much firmer and more slice-able.
Oddly though, I managed to mould the edges I trimmed off back into squares. I'm pretty certain fudge shouldn't be mouldable.
After sharing, I think the general concensus is, it's tasty, but it's not fudge. I don't know why but it isn't.

If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment