Thursday, June 2, 2016

#tbt: Butterfly Wall Art

Throw back Thursday: taking a look at stuff I've made in the past.
 
 
I made this about a year ago.
Actually, I made it, took it apart and re-did it several times until I was happy with it. I'm super glad I didn't give up on it or leave it after the first attempt because it sucked.
It's made using pages from my old copy of Pride and Prejudice (which makes me love it even more), brown paint, some brown fabric from my stash, a wooden frame Mr Strawberry made for me, a staple gun from B&Q and a butterfly cutter from Hobbycraft.
I painted the pages using watered down paint, then cut out the butterflies when they were dry.
Then I painted the tree across the top of the fabric.
Once dry, I pinned the butterflies to the fabric and stitched them on using my sewing machine.
Next I stretched the whole thing across the frame and stapled it down at the back, starting in the middle of each side and working my way outwards.
Then I discovered the stitching had made a lot of the butterflies split in half, so I glued them back on and glued the others to make them a little stronger. A year later, they're still attached, which is amazing as it's been hung in the living room, sharing it's space with two raucous boys.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment