Monday, January 30, 2017

Monday Make: 'That's Not My Church' Book

Monday Make: This week's project


My dearest mother came to me with a project she needed some help with.
An old friend of mine got the job as vicar for her church and everyone is so pleased. She wanted to make him a 'That's not my..' book to celebrate.
It being Jon, I was very happy to help. He's such a great bloke and I'm so very happy for him.
So, I ransacked his facebook photos (which to be honest, felt a bit stalky) and got designing.
The drawings are a bit crappy, but hey ho. I tried to use Charlie & Lola as inspiration for the illustrations and it was a real challenge to do this all without Photoshop (which I finally have on my new laptop but it was too late for this project), so there was a fair amount of printing, cutting out, gluing and scanning in involved. I'm really pleased with it though. It's not quite as crisp as it would've been and there are shadows where there wouldn't normally be but I actually really like the quality going old school has given it.

It mostly contains 'in' jokes, so I apologise if it just seems utterly random. I'll explain a bit though; the church my Mum goes to meet in one of the oldest buildings, like ever. There has been a church on that site since about 900ad, that one in particular was built in 1400ad or something (my dates are not exact!). So it's really old and really beautiful inside. However, the congregation are mostly families with noisy children (mine go with Nanny and Granddad since I am not a church goer myself). From what I've heard, Jon is a young and dynamic vicar whose sermons seem to often include my children doing awful things to him, including one which involved the pie face game.


I made the book using a white card base, A3 trimmed to size, stapled together at the center, then glued each page on. The front and back are covered in sticky back plastic to give it extra protection but I've no idea how long the glue will last.

Lift the flap hymn book and tin foil windows on the modern church.

Wrinkled cotton as the smoke and a lovely crinkly crisp packet.

Touchy feely blankets and a felt hat.

Lift the flap frying pan.

If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment