Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tempting Tuesday: Apple related fail

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.


I haven't baked anything lately. Actually to be honest I haven't done much of anything lately. A little bout of the baby blues kicked in and I've been feeling utterly miserable. After a few shitty weeks, I finally realised that at the core of it was the fact that my little baby, who is probably my last baby, is about to turn one. The year has flown by and I've tried to relish the time but I always feel like maybe I didn't relish it enough. Ah, c'est la vie. Time to crack on.

So, my local supermarket had puff pastry on offer this week. I bought it with no real idea as to what I was going to make with it. I was going to make apple crumble but it turned out we didn't have enough flour in the house when I went to start it, so I made this instead. It didn't really work but it very tasty. Think danish gone wrong. Not pretty but hey, it's pastry and sugary apples, covered in more sugar...how bad can it be?
Thanks to the lovely people who hand me bags of apples every Autumn, which get chopped up and cooked up and placed in my freezer, there is always apples when I need them.
I defrosted a chinese take out pot full of apples in the pan, threw about half a cup of brown sugar in and stirred until it was defrosted. It was mostly apple puree with a few solitary lumps in by then.
I spread the whole lot over my sheet of puff pastry but it must've still been a bit too warm because that is when it started to go a bit awry. I rolled it all up like a swiss roll and tried to cut slices off to make something similar to cinnamon rolls (but with apple in obviously) but the pastry must've been too soggy as it just wasn't working.
This is the result of my slices once baked...


I baked it in the oven at 180°C for about twenty minutes. Then once it was all cool, I drizzled icing over the top. 
It was really yummy but super messy to slice up and crazy messy to eat. Next time I'll actually try to make them danish sized before putting the apple anywhere near the pastry...just talking about next time is making me hungry...
If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment