Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Tempting Tuesday: Dumplings

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.


I make stew on a very regular basis, but I've never made dumplings before. I don't know why. Anyhoo, some random thought led me to google them and I discovered that they are incredibly easy to make.
I was making stew anyway, with what I had in the fridge, which happened to be half a butternut squash, sweet potato, 2 carrots, potato and 2 sticks of celery. I put in a chicken stock cube and a tbsp of onion gravy granules too. Basic I know, but we're living on the cheap at the moment.

I used brown wholegrain flour after the great indigestion battle I fought last week with the pastry, to see if the over processed white flour was the culprit and I can now report that these did not kill me in the same way. Yay!

Makes enough for 4-6 people depending on your portion size.

Ingredients:
250g self raising flour
125g butter
seasoning/herbs of your choice

Method:
Put flour and seasoning into a large bowl.
Grate butter using a cheese grater, straight into the bowl, then rub it all together using your fingertips.
Add tiny splashes of cold water until it all binds together well enough to make little balls.
Form it into 8-12 balls, depending on how many people you're feeding and how large you want them.
When your stew is 20 minutes away from finishing, make sure it's got enough liquid to cope with the sponge like dumplings and that it is boiling, then add the dumplings, pop the lid on and do not remove it for the whole 20 minutes.

Definitely going to always do dumplings from now on. Easy and yummy and filling.

If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment