Monday, August 15, 2016

Monday Make: Miniature House Kit

Monday Make: This week's project


Have I ever told you how much I love miniatures? 
Miniature villages, dolls houses, tiny detailed silver charms...it goes on. Basically if it's scaled down by at least 1:4, I'll find it utterly charming.

the box.
I saw this kit on eBay, I don't honestly know what I was supposed to be looking for when I did, but it's possible I was simply having a mooch at doll's house furniture. I kept it in my watch list for ages before impulsively buying it.
It cost me £15 including postage and the shop, Pure_sign sells a lot of different kinds of houses, some in globes like this and some in glass boxes. They also have the tools to do it with, I ordered a little £5 set because I knew my tweezers had been snapped ages ago by someone small. I'm glad I did too, I couldn't have done it without those little tools and they'll go on to help me with future projects.

What's in the box...
When I first saw that crappy looking tube of glue, my heart sank a little bit, but as soon as I started using it, I realised I was wrong to judge it for being plain Jane PVA. It is the perfect consistancy, dries really quickly and most importantly, dries with a good strong bond despite the tiny amounts needed for teeny constructions.



It took me three days to complete, in and around my motherly/wifely duties (with only a tiny bit of husband neglection).
I think the main reason I enjoyed doing it so much is that it's a little like meditation; I couldn't think about anything else while I was doing it, I had to concentrate on getting the pieces in the right place before it dried. It's mind centering, junk clearing and completely adorable.

The kit came with a set of lights and sensor so that when you tap the glass, three tiny LED lights come on inside the house, but sadly, despite my best efforts, I couldn't get the electrics to work. The first set broke and Pure_sign sent me a replacement no quibble, but when I fit it into place, nothing happened. I don't know why, everything was in the right place, I only know that the electrics board was getting too hot too quick and no lights came on, not even a flicker. So I pulled out the lightbulbs and gave up. Never mind, it's still awesome.


The pot plant that I thought might kill me when I first read the instructions.



I loved doing this kit, and the instructions were really easy to follow, despite clearly being translated. I've since been back on eBay looking at all sorts of miniatures from airfix to these crazy metal cutout things that make a little R2D2. But alas, it's all rather pricey.
I may just see what I can make from a cereal box...





No comments:

Post a Comment