Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday Make: Tiny World in a Tin

Monday Make: This week's project


After last week's fun with the teeny tiny house I had to make something small again.
Luckily for me, my Mum had been away and come back with a stash of some gorgeous little shell boxes to sell in a gift shop she helps run. They are made of the shiny insides of shells, all softened, glued into shape and then dried. They're amazing and so pearlescent. Even better, they come from a charity working in the Philipines who claim to support the local people there, giving them well paid jobs and the like. I'd be able to tell you more if I could get the website to work but all it says is 'check back later', which I will.



I would have taken some photos of my making process, but to be honest, baby Zander and I were in a little car crash, which left us perfectly healthy, thank goodness, but me a little discombobulated. A teeny tiny project was just what I needed to get my head straight again but I just had to focus on the task in hand and there wasn't space in my head to stop and take photos.


I made the relief section with some paper mache and painted it when it was thoroughly dry.
Then I made my little wire tree (with a lot of patience).
I painted some sand to make it mud coloured and glued it in with a few random tiny rocks.
Glued my tree in and covered the 'ground' in moss to make it grassy. There are a few painstakingly placed flowers in the grass.
And lastly, I filled a section of the cave with some beautiful 'ore', shall we say it's lapis lazuli or sapphire? Who knows.
Completely random I know, but the single apple was inspired by a friend's painting.


Think I need another little box...


If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment