Thursday, September 20, 2012

Annoyed by other people's statuses...not me



On the radio this morning they were discussing that one issue that just keeps cropping up when it comes to Facebook and twitter; how easily annoyed people are by other peoples statuses about their kids/dogs/jobs, etc.
I understand their point of view, but why are people so miserable?
So what if I go on about whether or not my kids have gone to bed nicely? So what if a friend’s baby took her first steps? So what if someone’s dog had a great walk in the woods? And so what if they are counting down until Friday coz they hate their job? I think these are the things that are important to people, that’s the sole purpose of Facebook/twitter feeds, these are the things happening in our friends everyday lives, and that’s exactly what I’m interested in. We can’t all only ever put cool witty remarks on every single update.
I don’t watch Eastenders or Corrie, but I love reality TV, I love watching real people reacting to real events and situations, and I think that’s why I love social networking sites. I’m not in it for the wise cracks, the constantly shared photos (except the ones that really make me laugh), or the constant flirting on twitter. I just want to hear/read about people’s normal lives. Raw and honest. And if that means that every Monday and particular person is groaning about their job, and every Saturday someone is out on the town looking a tiny bit trashy, and the constant stream of baby talk, dog photos is absolutely fine with me.
If you’re not interested, turn the damn computer off, or just unfriend/unfollow them. Easy as pie.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely. All else fails, if someone doesn't like what someone else is posting, just block their posts. I honestly don't get why people complain other than for the sake of complaining. -shrugs-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I love FB - to keep up with my lovely sister and her boys, look at wedding pictures, baby pictures and to share pics of my little one which I know are appreciated. The 'so tired' statuses do annoy me a bit, but only because I don't think people without babies know the meaning of tired!!

    ReplyDelete