Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Make: 'The Dark' Diorama

Monday Make: This week's project
 
So, this is my first attempt at a diorama and I'm pretty pleased with it.
I decided to do it based on Lemony Snicket's 'The Dark', which is a lovely little book with really striking illustrations about a little boy who was afraid of the dark.
 
 
I started with the bottom of a posh chocolates box I couldn't face throwing away but had no real use for and painted the inside black.
 
 
I painted a piece of paper, left it to dry on the bathroom radiator (while panicking about the consequences of boys and their bathroom breaks) then drew the stairs. Painstaking doesn't quite cut it, it took me forever to be happy with the perspective and even then I screwed it up.
Now to make the little drawers. I cut out the sides out of cardboard, taped it all up with masking tape and painted it.


 The little set of drawers is slightly too big for my liking but considering this was made on a rainy Bank holiday Monday while trapped in the house with a bored husband, two kids and a newborn, it's really not bad. In between attending to everyone's needs I have been painting and paper cutting and I'm finally finished.

 
I hope this inspires you to make something, anything, just be creative and enjoy it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment