Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Chocolate Pear Betty

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.


My sisters Apple Betty (Nigel slater recipe) is Mr Strawberry's favourite putting. 
My parents recently celebrated their silver anniversary and there were a few loaves of bread left over from the buffet so I yoinked one, originally to make a bread and butter pudding but after a rummage in the cupboard I found (just) enough ingredients to make this. And since Mr Strawberry is feeling a bit rough after his operation, a sexy pudding is just what the doctor ordered, I'm certain. 
I changed the recipe I found  online due to what I had in the cupboard.
Here's my amended version.
Includes the oldest tin of golden syrup ever, a tin of pears
rather than fresh, a loaf of stale bread, some random sliced
almonds & the last of my personal stash of dark chocolate. 
Ingredients:
tin of pear halves in juice
130g breadcrumbs
75g sugar
100g dark chocolate
75g butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
double cream or vanilla ice cream to serve
I whizzed up the bread slices in my super
whizzer (food processor). Looks like poo
when you take a photo mid whizz.
Make the bread crumbs and chop the chocolate.

Mix chocolate, sugar & breadcrumbs together. 
Some of the bread crusts wouldn't go smaller in the whizzer.
Probably shouldn't have included them but the crusts looked
too good to waste. 

Lay the pears in a buttered baking dish. 
Sprinkle over the topping mixture. 

Melt the butter & golden syrup together and then drizzle over the top.
Ready for the oven.

I sprinkled over some sliced almonds for fun (mostly because during my cupboard rummage I got over excited). 

Bake at 190°C for 35 minutes. 

The top should be delightfully gooey and chewy. The almonds give it a lovely crunch which went well with the chunks of crust.
Yummmmmm.
Now please excuse me while I go fetch myself a second serving...

Free printable recipe card


If you like what you see, share it using one of the magic buttons below. 
Leave a comment or even subscribe, it would make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment