Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Carrot and Courgette Rolls

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.


I thought this week I'd do a healthy snack, especially as breastfeeding my little man beast is making me the hungriest person in the land and rather than living off cereal bars, I need to fill my fridge with some good stuff. 
Inspired by quite a different recipe for similarly shaped food with different contents (courgette round the outside, filled with cream cheese & Stilton), I went for this. 
Here goes...
 
 
One carrot, one courgette and a dollop of soft cheese. 


I grated the carrot and mixed in the cheese. I don't know how much I put in, just enough to make it stay put when I roll it up and then I added a bit more to make it creamier. 
Using a vegetable peeler, I sliced up the courgette, plunged it in hot water and a little salt for a minute, then put it into cold water.
 
 
I put a little dollop of carrot onto a slice of courgette and rolled it up like sushi. 
 


As I was worried about how soggy everything was (the courgette was still damp and carrots always tend to be quite wet when you grate them) I placed all my little rolls on some kitchen roll, packed them all up nicely (patted the contents down and topped up as required) and put them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
 
 

They are really yummy, in a very refreshing way, but I feel like they are a tad bland, like they need something else. I'm yet to work out what that is. Any ideas? They taste much better with a little salt and pepper. I also tried sweet chilli sauce (I think adding a little spice in the soft cheese might be good) and chunks of mature cheddar but I'm not sold in the idea of mixing cheddar with soft cheese. My most successful experiment was fresh mint. Maybe next time I'll chop up some leaves and mix them with the carrots.
 
Comment below if you can think of any way to make them less...boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment