Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tempting Tuesday: Fruishi

Tempting Tuesday: trying not to kill my family with my experimental cooking.

I've been dying to have a go at making some fruit sushi.
I've been making wonky sushi for years and as with most foods, I was always left thinking; "yes, this is great, but how can I make it into pudding?"
Mmmmm pudding. 
So, here we go. Rather pleased with them myself, despite them being a bit of a nightmare to make. 


First things first. You want to get the rice right.
Don't, under any circumstances, half cook the rice, leave it in a pan with a lid on and then do the school run. You'll end up with rice that has turned to smush and yet unbelievably is raw on the inside of each tiny grain. Trust me when I say, this is un-fixable. 
Banana chunks with the middle removed, filled with sushi rice & topped with chocolate balls. It's easy to get the inside out with an apple corer, but its a nightmare to fill the things with rice without the whole thing splitting.
Thinly sliced strawberries, laid out on cling film, with a dollop of rice in the middle. Form into a ball & chill before unwrapping. 
These little balls are actually really easy to make, so long as you cut your slices thin enough. Once you've got the knack of balling it all up into the clingfilm, you're on a roll.
Thinly sliced kiwi, laid out on cling film, with a dollop of rice in the middle. Form into a ball & chill before unwrapping. 
Slices of kiwis and strawberry in the centre, wrapped in rice using cling film and a sushi rolling mat, then dipped in poppy seeds. 
A bit tricky to roll, even trickier to slice. I find chilling the whole roll in the fridge for a bit before attempting to slice it up makes it much less likely to disintegrate.

The recipe inspiration I used, I found here and here.
Of course, I never followed the recipe because, well, I can't. Though that's probably why I struggled so much getting my rice right.
The possibilities are endless!
And it's all so very, very yummy.
I'll definitely be making more in the very near future.
What fruits would you use? Share your Fruishi ideas, I'll give it a bash.


No comments:

Post a Comment